Prepared by Susan A. Beecher
February 26, 2018
- Creating Sustainable Landscapes
24291 Homestead Ct
Novi, MI 48374
Our vision is to save the planet one property at a time by helping landowners create habitat and better manage storm water. We provide consulting, design, and installation services to landowners who want to transform their landscapes utilizing sound ecological principles and native plants that support local wildlife. Whether you are starting from scratch or converting part or all of your existing landscape to one that provides habitat and requires less water, no fertilizer, and no pesticides, we can help. Services include rain gardens, pollinator gardens, prairie gardens, formal perennial beds, buffalo grass lawns, and consultation.
- PlantWise, LLC
646 Barber Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
PlantWise, LLC is a business dedicated to creating, restoring, and interpreting native ecosystems and plant communities throughout Michigan and Ohio. Towards that end, we work with private and public landowners to:
• Develop management plans for maintaining or restoring natural landscapes;
• Conduct prescribed ecological burns;
• Complete invasive plant removal projects;
• Manage remnant or created natural areas;
• Conduct plant and animal inventories;
• Map existing ecosystems and natural communities;
• Coordinate volunteer groups for planting or restoration work;
• Conduct training for all aspects of natural area restoration;
• Design and install landscapes of all scales using native plant species;
• Develop brochures and signage to help people understand and appreciate the natural features around them.
Wildtype was established in 1996. For more than 20 years we have specialized in growing plants native to Michigan, from Michigan genotypes. We grow trees, shrubs, grasses wildflowers, and emergent wetland species typical of Michigan woodlands, wetlands and prairies. It is our objective to propagate nursery stock with enough genetic diversity to create self-sustaining populations. Therefore the majority of our plants are grown from wild seed stock. This is what we mean when we say our plants are “borne to be wild”. We keep track of when and where the seeds or cuttings were collected and where and how they were grown and handled.
Wildtype also provides ecological services for public, commercial and residential projects focusing on restoration and preservation of native landscapes. Some of our services include invasive species management, native plant installation, site assessment and botanical surveys.
- Ecological Edge LLC
Ecological Edge LLC creates (and installs, if desired) landscape designs for homes, businesses and religious institutions that attract people and wildlife alike, using significant numbers of native plants in both formal and informal designs. Ecological Edge also consults with landowners to learn what valuable habitats they have on their property and creates plans to help them enhance their property for beauty and wildlife.
- David Borneman LLC
2750 Newport Rd Ann Arbor MI 48103
Offering a full range of ecological restoration services specializing in controlled burns.
- InSite Design Studio
516 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
At InSite Design Studio, we’re passionate about ecological design in landscape architecture.
Let us help you connect form and function on your site.
We provide the following:
• Work with all kinds of clients, from homeowners and commercial clients, to large institutions, and public entities
• Offer an extensive suite of design and consultation services, ranging from master planning to detailed construction document sets
• Have a lot of practical experience with the planning, installation, and maintenance of ecological design and restoration projects
• Are ready to help you with as much or as little as you need, as you need it
- Rain Garden Resources from Washtenaw County Government
Rain Gardens Coordinator, Susan Bryan
Plant a rain garden on your property with help from the Washtenaw County Rain Garden Assistance Program. Or, train to design rain gardens yourself by becoming a Master Rain Gardener, and spread the word about the benefits of rain gardens.
- Reed Ecological Design, LLC
Reed Ecological Design provides ecological friendly landscape consulting, design, installation, and maintenance services. We specialize in conversion of lawn landscapes into beautiful native plant prairies and rain gardens.
- Mike Appel Environmental Design
416 Longshore Dr., Suite C
Ann Arbor, MI 48105-1642
Our work is informed by hands-on stewardship in the natural communities of southern Michigan. From the designs we conceive to the landscapes we construct and maintain, our time afield inspires what we do. We have the equipment and experience to create and care for spaces in which our clients can cultivate their own personal connection to the outdoors.
Services offered include site planning and landscape design, native landscape installation and maintenance, rain gardens, lawn reduction, tree and shrub planting, native seeding, prescribed fire and exotic invasive species control.
- Brenda Dziedzic
Butterfly Expert and author of Learn About Butterflies in the Garden
(To view and order the book: Click Here)
My butterfly house is located at 6414 Merriman Road, Westland MI 48185, between Ford Road and Warren Road, at Barson’s Greenhouse. It has butterflies, which are native to Michigan, and their host plants. This allows people to see the life cycle of the butterflies that they can have in their yards. I try to share my knowledge about butterfly plants and rearing butterflies with as many people as I can. We need to give back to the earth. We can do this by planting the native plants that were intended to be here. Native plants have higher nectar content than most non-natives and they produce a healthy ecosystem by attracting a wider variety of birds and insects, which enhance the biodiversity.
- John DeLisle, PWS – Principal Ecologist
Natural Community Services, LLC
Southfield, MI 48076
John’s Services include environmental consulting, ecological restoration, and native landscapes.
Statewide Sources for Native Plants and Services
- Michigan Native Plant Producers Association (MNPPA)
- Wildflower Association of Michigan Business Directory